Barbara Kay: Regarding Ms. Antonia Zerbisias

"...Even the editors of the Toronto Star, though, had to be wincing at the rather extreme simplicity and extreme rudeness displayed by Ms Zerbesia Jan.26 when, agitated at the National Post’s editorial comment on an issue she felt strongly about, she tweeted “F*** you, National Post National Post and the horsesh** you rode in on.”

Golly! That’s harsh."
...

Update: For idiot lefties everything is always a CONSPIRACY!

Bwa ha ha!!!!

I had to laugh at Zerb's immediate thought: that this was a conspiracy of some kind and that I had been 'duped' by a fake email purporting to be from you. This is how their minds work: everything MUST be a scam, a conspiracy, a gnostic something or other. Occam's razor isn't in any leftist's overnight bag.

He and Zerb get together and comb out each other's grey ponytails :-)

I 'thoughtfully' left out my fave line about Zerb. One of her colleagues at the Star said to me once, "You know, if I ever lose 100lbs, I hope at least other people will be able to notice..."

Cheers, and thanks for your nice comments about me. You have now made a new enemy however. Dawg is a nobody, but he is a vicious nobody.

KS

On 10-01-28 8:11 PM, Barbara Kay wrote:

Dear Mr Baglow,

Now that I've had my cocoa and am cozily ensconced in my four-poster with my trusty, well-worn copy of Hayek's Road to Serfdom at hand for my nighttime read (land o'goshem is it 7:45 pm already?? Goodness, I'd better hustle), I am ready to respond to your "none too kind" blog post about me.

I have to say, Mr Bagelow, that compared to most of the mail I get when I ruffle the feathers of the Star-gazers, yours was definitely on the wussy side. No offence, but if a misspelling of the "Zerb's" name was your best shot - and oh dear, I'm afraid it was - you mustn't concern yourself with my potentially hurt feelings. Not! As the young people say today who know so much about the InterWeb and all that..

Peering through my lorgnette, I am now running down the list of your shards of umbrage. First of all, I did not do a "character assassination" of Ms Z, she does that every time she opens her mouth, although I wonder if it is in fact syntactically possible to assassinate oneself. But never mind, what I did was a "talent" assassination, although here again I am a bit flummoxed, since can one assassinate something that is not there? But let us leave these philosophical considerations for another time. Mr Sandman will think it quite naughty of me to stay up so late on a weeknight!!

You may be a bit embarrassed when I point out that the bit about Ms Z in Grade Nine is information I retrieved from the blurb she proudly displays on her column home page at The Star. Perhaps you should have "factchecked" that before puffing yourself up like the frog in the fable to accuse me of character assassination. What that does tell me though is that YOU think it is bad form to accuse someone of being rude, obstreporous and bold and to get yourself suspended from school, while Ms Z thinks it is something to boast about. I will let you two work that out for yourselves. So much for your opening salvo.

My comments about Antonia's writing are absolutely correct and I stand by them. She is an extremely banal writer - I should know - I edited a writing competition for high school students for 25 years, and I promise you the Grade 9 students who made the cut for the finished anthology all wrote much better than Antonia. So you can imagine my pique when I saw that AZ considered her writing similar to mine. Ye gods, perhaps when I'm in the final throes of Alzheimers but not before. Her writing skills are mediocre and her thoughts are rain puddle shallow and Manchurian Candidate-like robotic. If there were some money in it, I would be prepared to prove my point by deconstructing some of her colunns; trust me, she would not be a happy camper when I was finished with her. As for the Toronto Star, I have a friend who teaches newcomers English and she only uses the Toronto Star as a teaching tool because, as she put it, "the writing is so simple and easy for immigrants to read."

When I continued "in this vein," you don't seem to have grasped the point that I was making "fun" of Antonia in my bit about "words" and the tools of our "trade"; that it was "ironic" and that anyone with a sense of humour would "get it." Sadly, Mr Bagelow, I see no trace of a sense of humour in your writing, and by the way, that hoary old bit about me being a Victorian prude - that's been done to death. If you want to mock me, find something original. ...

Sorry about the misspelling, but the budget at the NP is pretty thin and I don't get my own unionized copy editor to follow me around when I post on blogs. But gosh, sorry about that, because God knows a misspelling is something you almost never ever see on a blogspot, eh?

Please inform AZ that I live in Montreal and am a freelance columnist, not on the editorial board.

I gave the post to Kathy because I love her wit and style and way of thinking, all of which were in shining evidence in her comment, and I couldn't think of anyone I would rather associate it with. Besides, I know there are tons of people who read her blog. Yours...not so much, I think.

Nice clearing the air, Mr Bagelow, and now you can go back to sitting at the feet of AZ and drinking her little cups of watery Kool-Aid, which don't kill you right away, just veeeery slowly, column by column by zzzzzzzzz

Barbara

truepeers  – (2:50 PM)  

You can't be a serious writer unless you have some sense of what writing is for. AZ seems to have always thought it was for tearing bad people down. Most people get tired of that by thirty; but when you've been banking on the hope that destroying the old Yank-Zionist regime will help bring in the New Utopia for so long, and then when you finally get your man elected to the Presidency and you soon can't help but see how empty and directionless he is (Without the Leninist-Stalinist conviction that allows you to murder millions you can't even keep up the pretense that a new day is about to dawn...) I guess you are reduced to schoolyard ranting. Oh well, sign of the times as the left sees more and more how little purpose it really has at present.

Blazing Cat Fur  – (4:04 PM)  

The Lefty Anti-Zionist/Islamist alliance must be having fits, CAF, Alternatives, Kairos, UNWRA, Rights & Democracy wonder whose gonna get the axe next. I think Jooloonyism is a medically verifiable condition.

Xanthippa  – (5:16 PM)  

She's right: writers ought to be able to respond with a rebuttal, not juvenile insults.

Blazing Cat Fur  – (5:53 PM)  

But Juvenile is my Idiom!

Blazing Cat Fur  – (5:54 PM)  

Of course I'm not a professional journalist;)

Terry Glavin  – (9:58 PM)  

Does this mean I'm not allowed to say Fuck the Toronto Star? Not that I would, necessarily. But one should never underestimate the persuasive power of profanity. I believe McLuhan said that.

Blazing Cat Fur  – (10:00 PM)  

Fuckin Eh! Terry Right On!

Minicapt  – (11:20 PM)  

And the Dawg has yet to recover from preemption by Monty Python: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc_iWPnjtCI

Cheers

Blazing Cat Fur  – (11:26 PM)  

Oh that is cruel, accurate though;)

Frances  – (11:33 PM)  

Okay, I'm betraying my era or something. But when a 'writer' has to resort to what our children in earlier days called swears, I lose much respect and tune out. Unless a columist is able to proclaim his/her position lucidly, without recourse to invictive against opponents or juvenivle language, I will remain seriously disinterested in whatever valid arguement said columnist may have.

Blazing Cat Fur  – (11:37 PM)  

Good points all Frances but in this case Zerb get's off, she isn't considered a writer - even by my own low standards;)

It's a hoot to watch her spin and play the victim I must admit, what a foolish woman she is.

JA Goneaux  – (10:32 AM)  

The best part about the Zerb was that, while she was Canada's only (and best!) full-time full-media columnist at a major paper, she castigated other papers for "only" having mere TV columnists, or film columnists, or occasionally, new media columnists. Only one person, and one forward thinking newspaper (the Star, driven by the Atkinson principles, of course) had her. Queen of All Media.

Unfortunately, within months she became just another writer in the woman's section. Again.

Almost like Ellie Tescher who went from Very Serious Columnist to Agony Aunt. Gotta love progressive newspapers. They certainly treat women well...

Blazing Cat Fur  – (10:43 AM)  

"Progressives" seldom do, you should see some of the comments directed at Ms. K from CC and his commentors ( CC being one of the Zerb's fave bloggers).

For Zerb to wrap herself in false victimhood because of my "misogynist" attack upon her speaks loudly and clearly of her hypocrisy, and lack of both intelligence and any sort of coherent moral compass.

In short she crazy - but we knew that.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template me by me 2010

Back to TOP